How is surface water regulated in Texas?

In Texas, the water that flows in creeks, rivers, and bays is owned and managed by the state.   If a person diverts such water, he must have authorization (or a water right) from the state through the TCEQ.   Consequently, a person who withdraws surface waters for hydraulic fracturing activities must obtain a water rights permit from TCEQ. 

Do you have questions? You can get our FREE ebook, Environmental Litigation: What Every Attorney and Environmental Professional Needs to Know, just by providing your name and email address at this link.  We promise your information won’t be shared with third persons. And if you’d like to speak with me about your case, I welcome your phone call at 972-850-8490. I look forward to speaking with you.